Thursday, April 07, 2011

Roslyn Kate's Birth Story: At the Hospital (Part 2)

Andrew and I get to the hospital, and I tell the lady at the desk that my water broke. She told me I was a keeper! Lol They took me back to a hallway of beds divided by curtains, and hooked me up to the screen to monitor contractions which had just started at this point. My momma showed up. Then after a little while they took me to a room. Ashlyn and Bethy showed up and watched me lay in bed fighting thru mild contractions haha. Oh and they got to see me throw up! Fun stuff... They were hoping she'd come by 7am, before they had to leave but she didn't. I walked around some in the very beginning. And utilized the tub with jets a few times throughout. My favorite was what they call the birthing ball. It's one of those big exercise balls. They set it on the floor at the foot of the bed and put pillows on the foot of bed, so I sat on the ball and leaned forward onto the pillows on bed. The nurses or Andrew would rub my back, except for when a contraction came. At that point, no touchy! Lol I also sat in the rocking chair a little bit. I don't think I could have had better nurses! Mich & KT were my nurses and they were amazing!!! They made suggestions and were so extremely sweet. Seriously, if you have a baby at TMH ask for them... I will with my next baby! Andrew was so pitiful during the day... he was sooo tired but trying so hard to stay awake! He would be nodding off beside me, then my heavy breathing would wake him up as contractions came and he'd be right there, "breath. Hee hee hoo. Hee hee hoo. You got it. You can do it." My husband was nothing but encouraging and such an awesome coach. I love him so much and I'm very thankful for him. He's my perfect match :) My mom was also there the whole time, and I was very thankful for that! It was comforting having her there. Around noon I took a pain killer... don't know exactly what it was but it definitely didn't kill pain. It did make me tired and dizzy tho. Which was kinda good cause it helped me get some rest. I slept between contractions. I think it slowed down the process. Cause when it wore off contractions started picking up. They were getting super super intense and painful. But I was stuck at 9 cm dialated and they said the contractions were too weak. I'm thinking, "SAY WHA?? Too weak??" So the doc and nurses tell me they're gonna have to induce me to intensify contractions. I feel like I'm already at my pain tolerance limit at that point... so thinking of them intensifying made me cringe. I decided if they induced me I wanted an epidural. So they brought in all the stuff for the epidural; as they were getting it ready a contraction hit that totally took control of my body and made me push. It was the weirdest feeling cause I had no control of what I was doing. The nurses stopped what they were doing and said they'd better check me again. When they did they said baby was coming and I was 10 cm dialated and ready! I was crying. Scared. In horrifying pain. I wanted to give up. Isn't that weird?? I really did. I remember saying, "I can't do it!" But in response to that I had my two nurses, the doc, my husband, and momma all say "oh yes you can!!!!" So I pushed for around 20 minutes (it felt like FOREVER) and finally, FINALLY my baby girl, Roslyn Kate, entered into this world at around 4:30ish pm on March 16, 2011. The pain was unbearable, but my sweet baby is so totally worth it. Andrew cut the umbilical cord. And he was so giddy! Laughing and excited. She already has him wrapped around her finger :) It was so crazy to me how I almost got an epidural, but God totally showed up and helped me have her the way I wanted to, epidural free! I don't remember what my first reaction was to her... in the video Andrew took, my face had a blank stare. I think I was just out of it, exhausted, and relieved that it was over. Roslyn's 14 hour birth was definitely an adventure and a crazy experience. But I wouldn't change anything about it. I am so extremely thankful for my beautiful girl's health! I'll end this story by saying GOD IS AWESOME.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

4 comments:

  1. What an AMAZING story! I am so happy to read how God was with you throughout and helped you.... I've always been scared of having a baby, but this story is beautiful. Love your family! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you got to have your natural birth. It sounds like it was a wonderful adventure! Roslyn is such a beautiful baby girl. I hope we get to meet her soon.
    God bless!
    Nikki and Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if your nurses told you this, but they told us that they have very few women who actually go through a natural birth. A lot of women intend to but most end up not doing it. They said I was only the second one this year to do it. So congrats on being one of few!
    You are so lucky to only have had to push for about 20 minutes! I was pushing for several hours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw, Rachie, it made me cry when you felt like you couldn't do it but everyone was encouraging you, "yes you can!" Beautiful story. Wish I could have been there. Love you!!! Can't wait to see her. This is Diana by the way.

    ReplyDelete